Monday, November 15, 2010

Week 3 Observations: Photographic Evidence and Species ID

    I was able to get access to the imaging microscopes this time and got some decent mug shots. I have also been able to narrow in on some id's, which are also provided. The id's are tentative however, my final identifications and descriptions will be poste in the next and final chapter next week.


The Common Amoeba (this one is probably Amoeba Proteus). Common, but hard to spot - these shots were taken at the greatest magnification I had access to (40x).


Another amoeba.

Rotifera Euchanis Deflexa - these were very active, motile creatures, very abundant in my aquarium, ranging in size from a few um to perhaps 300um.

 Actinopoda Actinispherium. This fellow just waits around for rotifers and other cretures to get caught in its sticky spines.

 Another shot of an Actinisphere... note the bubble structure forming on the outside - not sure what this does but will have a final report in my summary.



 This Rotifer is caught in the spines of the Actinisphere and appeared to be struggling to get free. I watched for some time hoping it would, but never saw the ultimate conclusion to this death struggle.

 Two smaller Rotifers, yet to be identified.

 Something strange clings to the end of this filament of plant life, which appears to be the ascus of some algae perhaps?

 Rising from the soil particles at the bottom of the aquarium  is a Cannelida Tubiflex.  Also called a Chaetogaster, reminds me of the Asteroid Beast from Star Wars.... I think I can see   the Millenium Falcon flying just out of frame!

 Another shot of this motile, worm-like beast as it prowled among the muck.


Another worm-like member of the Chaetogaster family, Styleria, identified in part by the snout like structure extending from the head.

 There can be no mistaking the symetrical structure of this Desmid... probably Pleurotaenium Ehrenbergii.

    Next week: Its a sad time in Micro Aquarium land as our series comes to an end next time. I'll compile a list of the creatures I have seen along with some final observations. See all of you wonderful fans then!

1 comment: